Organised by : Ville de Luxembourg & Skatepark.lu
Date : 22 July 2016
- 11:00 to 13:00 – Official inauguration of the skatepark by the City of Luxembourg with a professional skateboarding demonstration
- 13:00 to 16:00 – Skateboarding workshops with free rental of skateboards and protections under the supervision of skilled instructors
- 16:00 to 18:00 – Best trick contest and goodies for everyone
- 18:00 and beyond – Open skate session
Food trucks will supply you with food and drinks during all of the afternoon.
In 2004, skatepark.lu approached the City of Luxembourg for the first time in order to discuss the potential construction of a concrete skatepark in the center of Luxembourg City. In 2008 the potential site in "rue St. Quirin" was retained for further study by the "Service des Parcs" of Luxembourg City. July 2013, the preliminary project was presented to the city council and an inital budget of 1,4M€ ttc was voted. 2 years later, after the offical biding was finished the city council approved the final project for a total sum of 2,0M€ ttc. Now, after 12 years of skateboarding advocacy the skatepark will final open on the 22 July 2016.
The offical bid was won by the consortium composed by the following companies:
The total skatepark area including public greens, benches and walkways is about 3500m2. The skatepark area is 2500m2 and is split ass follows:
- 600 m2 of bowl
- 1250m2 of traditional street
- 650m2 of street plaza